2023-24 UIL Eligibilty Calendar
2023-24 SCUC Student-Parent Athletic Handbook
Clemens Aquatics Expectations
Participation and Practice Guidelines
1. Athletic Period: Swimmers will be assigned to take 1st period or 8th period athletics.
2. Attendance: We will practice at the Schertz Aquatic Center (621 Westchester, Schertz, TX 78154). If a swimmer is ill and not attending school, please contact Coach Elkins or Coach Carlton. If the illness requires the swimmer to not train but they are attending school, a doctor’s note is required. Attendance is important for team morale and class credit. USA Swimming Club participants will have recovery days built into their schedule. SCUC Aquatics policy states that all athletes training clubs must be enrolled in a class period and must swim at least three (3) days a week with their high school program. Due to lack of training facilities, diving is exempt from this requirement.
3. Dry Land Workouts: We will stretch, run, lift weights and/or do alternate dryland workouts to maintain a competitive fitness level. Swimmers must wear appropriate dry land clothes (no jewelry, modest fitting shorts/Clemens t-shirt/cross-training or running shoes.)
4. Transportation: Swimmers will be responsible for transportation to practice every morning and after practice in the afternoon. Parents/athletes may provide their own transportation to practices at their convenience. Swimmers registered with Samuel Clemens High School to drive and park on campus may provide their own transportation from morning practice back to school and to afternoon practice but may not transport other swimmers.
5. Academic Eligibility: Swimmers are expected to maintain passing grades in all subjects. If a swimmer becomes ineligible for two (2) consecutive grade checks, the swimmer will be considered for dismissal from the team. Tutorials need to be arranged at times that do not interfere with practice time.
6. Holiday Training: Our championship meet falls shortly after Winter Break. We will practice over Thanksgiving and Winter Break. Practice will be announced prior to the holidays. If a swimmer cannot attend holiday practice, they must let Coach Elkins or Coach Carlton know in advance and make every effort to practice while travelling. Priority for district meet placement takes holiday practice into account.
7. Fundraising: The swim team is allowed one fundraiser per semester.
8. Behavior: Athletes are expected to conduct themselves in the pool and in the classroom. It is a privilege to be apart of an athletic organization and athletes are a held to a high standard. Athletes that violate the student code of conduct may be suspended from competitions or removed from the team.
1. Everyone is expected to be available for all meets that they are scheduled to attend. Not all swimmers will swim as all meets based on UIL rules and qualification times.
2. All swimmers will ride the bus to and from all meets unless previously coordinated with a Coach Elkins or Coach Carlton. Please be at the proper location on time for bus departure. In an effort to promote team morale, all swimmers must stay until the end of the meet unless extenuating circumstances prevail.
4. All swimmers will warm up together as a team. All home meets will include a team warm down following the 400 Freestyle Relay.
5. Team members must sit together at meets. Parents will sit in spectator seating and swimmers will sit in the competition area. Swimmers are welcome to speak briefly with their parents/family members when they arrive and then return to the team area. Swimming is a team sport!
6. Hold yourself to high standards. You represent Samuel Clemens High School and SCUC ISD. Leave the bus, locker room, pool and seating areas clean at all events. Any violations of the SCUC ISD athletic code of conduct will result in disciplinary action.
Daily Grading: A weekly grade will be given for practice and attendance. If you are unable to participate due to an injury or illness, especially if the absence is for an extended period of time, we need a note from your doctor. We EXPECT you to be at every assigned practice unless extenuating circumstances prevail. In the event you are unable to participate in a practice, you MUST notify Coach Elkins or Coach Carlton PRIOR to your absence. Swimming is a team sport, and it requires commitment and dedication.
Meet Grading: Meets are considered test grades. Unexcused absences from meets may result in dismissal from the team.
Expectations: We expect every swimmer to respect him or herself, his or her teammates, and his or her coaches. We expect every swimmer to have a positive attitude both inside and outside the pool. We expect complete dedication to the team and sport from each swimmer. Representing Samuel Clemens High School as an athlete is a privilege!
We will do our best to foster continual improvement and a positive team culture.
SCUC Athletic Policy - A swimmer may letter by achieving one of the following:
1. A swimmer earns first or second place at Varsity Districts in any individual event. This does not include relays.
2. A swimmer finals at Regional in any individual event. This does not include relays.
3. A swimmer qualifies for State in any event including relays.
4. A swimmer remains a part of the team for three (3) consecutive years.
5. A swimmer achieves time standards set by the coaching staff (such as TISCA or a school record).
Swim Parent Organization
Parent support is critical for a successful season. Please follow REMIND messages and visit the website for opportunities to get involved. There are several social media outlets that promote our team as well, including the Clemens Booster page on Facebook and @SCCL_Aquatics on Twitter.
Support in the stands WILL bring more effort in competition!!!
1. Practice/Competition Suit
2. Team Polo Shirt
3. Team Clima T-Shirt
5. Water Bottle
7. Equipment Bag
SCUC-Issued Equipment (must be returned at end of season):
1. Warm-Ups/Workout T-Shirts/Hoodie
2. Fins, Paddles, Pull Buoy, Kickboard, etc.
Swimmers may supply their own, personal fins, paddles, pull buoy and kickboard. Please label/identify personal equipment to avoid any confusion.